Expanded Community Services (ECS) is designed to help overcome barriers to discharge for long-term hospitalized patients, primarily but not exclusively elderly individuals with chronic mental illness and behavioral problems.
These services, which are long-term in nature, include:
- Comprehensive diagnostic assessment
- Psychopharmacology consultation
- Education and training in behavior management for skilled nursing and residential care facility staff
- Behavioral interventions
- Collaborative crisis management
- Coordination of services with other community care providers
ECS is provided through arrangements with area nursing homes, assisted living facilities and adult family homes.