Finding humor in the circumstances of life can lift moods with laughter and help people better deal with and overcome difficult experiences.
When we laugh:
- Our stress hormone levels decrease.
- Our heart, lungs and muscles are stimulated.
- There is increased activity in parts of the brain's reward system.
- Endorphins - the body's natural pain blockers - are released.
- Our immune system grows stronger.
- Our mood improves and our anxiety decreases.
- We have better interactions with others.
- We have less burnout on the job.
Stress and the hormones it produces can do a lot of damage to the mind and body over time. Since humor and laughter reduce the amounts of these hormones, it has also been shown that they can help reduce the risk of blood clots, heart conditions, and other stress-related diseases.< Back to news